We have heard of ‘Challenger Banks’ but what is a ‘Challenger Retail Service’ in the aviation inflight world?
We class ourselves as the new breed of challengers. What this means is, streamlined and optimised services using cutting edge technologies mixed with business cost reductions and eco-awareness. For example:
- Modern tech is cost effective, no expensive monolithic server farms but rather serverless environments, database systems that pause when inactive but restart in milliseconds when needed.
- Eco-aware: No commuting, frequent video conferencing and online communications.
- Just enough office space to work effectively – the best option for software companies that know how to communicate effectively
Clients pay for the services, not so much for our lifestyle.
As most deployments are bespoke flightPOS really need to work as one with our clients. Here are a few aspects we value highly to get things done:
- Clear requirements. We work with you to ensure we are all on the same page.
- Relationships. Our developers work closely with our client developers forming a team with shared aims.
- The commercials need to be fair to all parties – if we are not expensive enough, tell us!
Products can have a price fixed in the airline base currency, fixed prices in all currencies or use the back office configured exchange rates.
Our expectation post-COVID19 is for all payments to be card based
flightPOS implement the airline defined algorithm for commission calculations, this can support differential product commission rates.
Is there a tax handling function for international flights where there may be tax liabilities in other jurisdictions?
Taxes are handled at the point of sale, in the back office and in reporting. The system is configured to match airline processes regardless of tax regime/jurisdiction.
There are two products to think about, the card reader and the crew device.
- Popular card reader from Miura is a versatile choice for card data capture. Supporting chip, swipe and, of great importance in these contact-reduction-days, NFC
- For the crew POS device, flightPOS software can be installed on the device the airline wants to use. This can be existing iOS or Android tablets or mobiles. If new devices are needed flightPOS can source these and sell or lease to the airline.
- Optional co-hosting of the POS software on existing technology alongside other crew applications. flightPOS can integrate with existing data on that crew device to enhance the product e.g. seating, pax detail.
Avoiding and reducing crew to pax contact is key:
- Our payment systems facilitate payment by pax on their own device, avoiding both crew contact and card reader use. For this WiFi based system, the only time that the crew need to be involved with pax is to simply drop off the purchase at the seat.
- If the regular trolley services are used than card payment using NFC methods will reduce the pax<=>crew contact points
The flightPOS system is designed with two initiatives in mind – reducing power consumption and paper usage
- Power consumption optimisation is by efficient design
- All ‘legacy’ printouts crew might be expected to handle are now viewable on-screen and retained in the system for post-flight analysis
- Receipts are delivered by email – providing an opportunity to include special offers and links as part of the pdf receipt, providing a valuable marketing opportunity without being overly obtrusive